Hunter suffers from a form of visual and auditory distortion: whenever there is an important event, all the clocks he looks at reads 8:13 and he cannot hear the alarms he set. While this happens at least twice a day, the rest of the time he can read a clock normally. This distortion causes him to be habitually late to important events in his life. He believes that it is a result of a watch he received from Abraham when he was ten. 
There are other examples of this number appearing in the series:
- It was the time shown on the clock when Zoe and Hunter entered the laboratory during Woodrun. The lab subsequently exploded. 
- Genesis:22 8-13 is the story of Abraham and Issac in The Bible.
- The numbers 813 were the first three numbers of the sequence that Hunter recited while in The Tower.
- 813 was Casey's room number when she was in New York.
- A poster for Hunter's book club says the meetings are at 8:13.
- After her car accident, Casey's room in the hospital is 813.
- When Clarkson's baby is crying, the time is 8:13.
- Wow-mo, where Hisao meets Lara is on the 8th floor, suite 13.
- Guillaume waits until 8:13 to win the Towerball game.
- It is the time on the clock when Vanessa successfully makes contact with the outside world, after Guillaume's post Towerball speech and when Casey enters The Greenhouse.